Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pulled Pork Sandwiches....With a Side of Humility


Ten days ago, I was driving with my wife, we were discussing our BBQ Sauce and Spice Rub that we sell and I mentioned that I would like to look into opening a food booth at a carnival or fair this summer to sell BBQ.  Yesterday, I removed the last bit of equipment from the parking lot where we opened our first BBQ concession. 

This may seem to be less-than-prudent and maybe even a bit rushed.  It was but, you know, the longer you put off, plan and wait for the perfect time, you realize there is no perfect time and you just have to jump in.  This was something I had thought of and planned for years and ten days ago, all I had was years of inactivity to look back on.

Six days ago, on a shoestring of a budget, we bought the bare essentials, bartered some of my sauce for some after-hours time in a licensed commercial kitchen to do my prep work and I convinced a not so receptive health inspector that I knew what I was doing, I was competent and begged him for a chance to set up.  Then, I had to sweet talk the local Fire Marshall's secretary and remind her of my 6 years of fire protection and suppression experience and gently pull the mandatory fire permit from her grasp. 

I lined up my friend Dean, my sister and brothers to help run the BBQ tent, expecting that I would not be able to pay any of them for their time, except in food of course. Over the four days the carnival ran, I slept no more than a few hours, when I could, partly because I needed to look after the smokers, but mainly because of my nerves. 

Costs were high and I made some foolish mistakes but we didn't lose any money.  I worked hard for a few bucks but as I look back on this, the true value of the experience stands firm in my mind.  This is something that I hope to continue to pursue over the summer.  There is a great deal of information that will be gleaned over the next few days as we reflect and try to take notes.  This information is only attainable from the actual experience.  This alone, is of great value and will help tremendously if we chose to repeat the famous Pulled Pork Tent. 

For me, there is a great deal of value in the experience.  My wife and I did this together, but I know she was doing it for me.  She has zoned out of more than a few of my "we should sell BBQ at carnivals" talks over the years.  Furthermore, I had an entirely different experience than she did.  I was there, alone at night and early in the morning and I had to deal with the stress and guilt imagining if it didn't work.  How selfish of me to risk our money for my personal dream.  Without the constant strength and reassurance of my wife along for the ride, I know I couldn't have seen this through. 

I also had the great pleasure of meeting a great group of guys.  Carnival workers and other vendors who knew I was green and extended themselves, because they were gentlemen.  I know what I have thought of carnival workers in the past, and maybe some of that is true about other Carnies, but not the ones I met.  I'd like to tell you about one of these guys in particular.  His name is David, not Dave, and that's exactly how he introduced himself.  He's been "working shows" his entire life.  His family owns the largest Carnival in Florida and he's worked it since he was a child.  From November to April he works in Florida.  In the summer, the family business shuts down or heads to "winter quarters".  That's when David heads north and works here, in New Jersey.  Come September, he'll head back home, visiting some friends along the way and then he plays golf for two months, until the family business calls.  I'm not kidding. 

I hung out with David quite a bit over the last few days and I learned more than just the questions I asked him.  After the first day, I noticed that he had an assistant, or that's what I thought.  His name was Mikey and he hadn't said a word to me yet.  I asked David about his assistant Mikey and what followed was one of the most remarkable stories I have ever heard.  David explained that last year, he was in North Carolina, helping a friend at a ten-day carnival before he headed home.  He noticed a man, walking around by himself, for days at this carnival and finally approached him.  That's how he met Mikey.  Mikey's father and mother had died a few years back.  He wasn't able to take care of himself, so Mikey went to live with his brother, who had been shot and killed the day before the carnival started.  Mikey was walking around the carnival, alone as David had observed, because he was.  No money, no home, no family.  David took Mikey back home to Florida, gave him a room at his house, some cash for food and smokes and a permanent, paid spot on his family's carnival.  When the season was over, David called up to his New Jersey boss to discuss a job for Mikey.  By that time, all the spots were full, but Mikey came to work anyway.  What Mikey didn't know; David paid his salary every week, last summer while he learned how to work a "show". 

They work during the day setting up rides, game booths and the concession trailers.  When the carnival opens, some of the guys go to the bunk house to "rack up" or sleep and others are assigned to work the rides.  David changes into some khaki shorts and a golf shirt and quietly walks through the crowd just observing.  I asked him why he does this and he pretended not to hear me. 

Here is a guy that doesn't have to work another carnival for the rest of his life, in fact, he probably doesn't have to even work ever again in his life, yet he does.  He says that he loves it.  That may be true, but after hearing the story of Mikey, I can't help but think there may be other reasons too. 

I left the carnival with all of my money (back in my wife's possession), a great appreciation of my friends and family who came out to help at the booth or look after my kids or lied to me when they said that wanted to eat pulled pork sandwiches four nights in a row and insisted on paying full price and I left the carnival realizing that perception isn't always reality.  It certainly wasn't with my new friend David.  See you next year, Buddy.

      






5 comments:

  1. Absolutely fantastic story - thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually tear up when reading about pulled pork (although I do love it!). Thanks for the heartwarming story. I hope Levi introduces me to you someday :-)
    Kellie G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rocco, that is a wonderful story. With all of the bad things that happen to people everyday all over the world, it is so nice to read about a person having the compassion to help a stranger in need. We could certainly use more David's in the world. Bless David and Mikey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog! visiting you from the etsy bloggers and readers team :)

    Saralyn

    www.studiomaisonblog.us

    ReplyDelete