Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Don't Eat The Hot Dogs


We have all heard of the game "telephone"?  Well, if you haven't, let me sum it up.  Typically, a group of persons participate by receiving a message and "repeating" the message to another, until the original message and end result are compared.  The game is used to demonstrate how the original message differs significantly from the ending message. Some people just lack the ability to repeat a message accurately, some people change the message to ensure a different end result.  As communications and "knowledge" increase in this age, the game of telephone has taken on different roles.  Misinformation regarding food seems to be like the sniffles at a preschool; uncontrollable. 

I have been hearing two food myths lately that I would like to specifically address.  I do not seek to persuade you in any direction, my intentions are simply to criticize the myths for their lack of due diligence and encourage the reader to make their own, independent decision.   

As I have stated in my last article, I prefer homemade food over any other kind.  I also prefer "good stuff", by now you probably know what I'm talking about here.  If not, go back and read.  As previously stated, I also have a few exceptions to this rule and I'm not inviting you to judge me.  I make no apologies for this position. 

There are some comments floating around about hot dogs not being biodegradable, thus, they are not suitable for consumption.  I found this quite intriguing so I searched some keywords and found dozens of articles containing the words "biodegradable" and "hot dogs".  I also found several articles speaking of 25 year old hot dogs in landfills.  On its surface, this could be called true.  That is, if all you did was read the two sentences in the search results and did not seek the truth any further than just at a glance.  I did, and found dozens of articles criticizing the modern landfill for not allowing natural decomposition to occur.  The articles went on to state how 25 year old hot dogs, corn cobs and lettuce leaves were unearthed.  The authors blamed the suspended state of these items on the landfill design, not the ingredients of hot dogs.

The second myth that has me scratching my head involves the 6,12,15 month old McDonald's cheeseburgers, left out on the counter, which did not decompose, rot or undergo any noticeable changes since it's purchase and abandonment.  In all of these experiments, it is seemingly impossible, that a cheeseburger could just dry out or  dehydrate when left exposed.  Our ancestors dehydrated meat to preserve it, some of us, myself included, still do this now.  Why has nobody even mentioned this?  Has a similar test been performed and reported using organic ground beef, bread and cheese?  Well, actually, according to seriouseats.com, that very test was conducted  (http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html, 2010).  They prepared 9 samples, some homemade and some from McDonalds, and found no significant difference in any of the samples.  No mold, no rot, actually, besides slight weight loss in all samples, there was really no changes.  This experiment has concluded that the small size and relatively large surface area of all the samples aided to naturally dehydrate and preserve.   

This is a great way to discourage our kids from eating at McDonalds.  It's a great anti-McDonalds "experiment", but the truth is, McDonalds doesn't need this food spin to mobilize people in economic protest.  They can manage without these lies. Beyond this organization demonstrating its value of the dollar over food quality, health, sustainability, fair trade and environmental protections there is little left for any further argument. They can manage simply on the merits of their own racist agendas, for what they support and who they offer their business opportunities and partnerships to.  This is why, among many other reasons,  I do not  economically support McDonalds. 

I am not a person that shies away from a debate.  I say things because I believe in it, and I welcome a debate.  I am not afraid of an opposing point of view.  I can respect that.  What I don't respect is believing hype and internet non-sense and then repeating that non-sense as if it was based on truth.

I was away this weekend, on a golf trip.  I had the pleasure of spending time with a bunch of guys I know well, and one that I didn't.  I spent both 4 hour car rides with him, ate many of our meals next to each other and we played a round of golf together.  I found how similar an outlook we share on food, I respect his knowledge and commitment to a sometimes difficult belief.  We spoke of this McDonald's burger myth.  I wondered what his opinion on the whole debate is.  The response, "the burgers may be a myth, but look at the fries".  After Adam's well-delivered explanation and a day or so of pondering this statement, I have resolved to simply do the experiment myself, fries included.  I will let you know the results, although I still maintain that it really doesn't matter much with talking about McDonald's, there are so many reasons to shun them aside from what we already know; food quality isn't a hallmark of this organization and responsibility is shadowed by profits. 

Just in case you were wondering, I thought I was holding my own on the golf course, until Adam joined my group.  As he watched me for 18 holes, I can only imagine what was going through his mind.  He must have seen me as a gorilla swinging some expensive clubs.  We were very different golfers! 








No comments:

Post a Comment