Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Sum of a Thousand Lies


Imagine for a minute, that you own a beef business.  By that, I mean you either raise or process beef for human consumption.  The ever tightening economy has you up at night pondering business practices to increase your profitability.  Maybe then you realize how much money your business has been spending on the disposal of those extra cow parts, the fat, connective tissue and tiny bits.  Maybe you wish there was a way to somehow market this product, but who would buy this waste, and for what purpose?  Then the idea hits you like a cattle prod.  Take this waste, blend it into a pink mass and flood the mixture with some ammonia to kill  the E. Coli, of course.  Then, all that's left is to sell it to profit-over-quality fast food restaurants and some school lunch programs.  This actually isn't your idea, it's the genius minds at Beef Products, Inc and they have made some business of feeding us this junk.

I didn't actually have to tell you this story, like me, you have known this for some time now.  This information has had such a profound effect on how I shop for food and what I prepare for my family, it owns a piece of this blog.  This was one of a handful of reasons I can identify for taking a hard look at what comes into my kitchen, and it should be for you too.  As I sat and thought about how we have been deceived, I struggled to define my course of action, but I refuse to allow my children to be fed this for-profit poison.  Finally, I have my course of action; prove to myself that I can make it better, or at least just as good, by using single ingredients (whenever possible) and document my experiences.  So here we are, you're reading it!   

I love a good burger.  Beyond the fact that I can no longer support food establishments that serve this waste beef product, I fundamentally disagree with some business practices of these large establishments, but I will spare you those details, for now.  I will just focus on the burger.  With this being said, I am aware that I have basically limited myself to eating burgers at home.  Rest assured, I do not miss the fast food version one bit.  I don't buy frozen beef patties anymore.  We have seen exactly what they contain.  I don't get excited by phrases like "angus" or "prime".  These are mostly a dog and pony show, skirting around the USDA guidelines to add "value" to an otherwise valueless product.  I go to a butcher, I look at a piece of beef and then I ask for said piece of beef to be ground to a specific coarseness that I request.  Assuming you can trust the butcher, as I do, you know exactly what is in the ground beef you bring home.  I made some burgers for this article.  They were very good.  I mixed in a bit of olive oil, shaped them into patties and sprinkled a healthy dose of my Hickory SmokedSea Salt and some fresh black pepper.  I grilled them over natural oak char-coal and made some caramelized red onion to top them off. 

I keep my grills and smoker out all winter, and yes I have two grills.  I have a propane grill and a char-coal grill.  The idea behind the smoked salt was for the odd occasion that I may not be up to standing outside in the dead of winter.  Smoke the salt in the nice weather, and enjoy the "grilled" taste in the warmth of your house.  Now, I really don't care what season it is, I just like the salt and use it quite a bit. 

When I was young, every day I would make "the rounds" with my grandfather Rocco.  We would visit the Dairy for milk, the bakery, the produce guy and the butcher.  Most times he was buying a little something, and sometimes we just went to say hi.  Countless times, I watched my grandfather buy a piece of beef, bring it home and grind it with a hand grinder for whatever he was cooking.  As I would sit and watch, I remember always thinking to myself how he is inconveniencing himself, how the stores have this already prepackaged.  My grandfather was a firefighter, but worked a part-time job for a while as a butcher at a local market.  It wasn't until I was sitting here writing this article, when I actually realized why he took the extra step and did it himself.  My grandfather knew well the value of doing it yourself.  He understood that quality is something produced, not purchased.  The food industry has been lying to us since my grandfather's days, and well before.  They continue now and pursue more profitable, more egregious and more pervasive means to achieve their goals.  Sometimes, you miss out on the knowledge others may have to offer.  Sometimes, you get lucky and remember.    


  



2 comments:

  1. the burgers look awesome! (the message of the post wasn't lost on me either - thanks for sharing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were delicious!! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm glad you got the message!

      Delete