Monday, March 26, 2012

Bringing Home The Bacon

Do you really need a bunch of hipsters to tell you that bacon is one of America's favorite foods?  Let's get real, like me, you have probably been saving your bacon until all the pancakes are finished so that the bacon can be the last thing you taste. Plus, it's always more satisfying when you can eat a few pieces of bacon consecutively, right? Like you guys, I've loved bacon since before it was cool. And let's not forget, pork bellies were traded as a commodity on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange for fifty years!
So this week's project is making one of my all-time favorites better. I am going to try curing and smoking my own bacon. As I started to research the process a few days ago, I couldn't help the urges I felt for just a little taste of this culinary treasure. In my haste, I laid out some maple bacon on a cookie sheet and lightly sprinkled some Bella's Backwoods BBQ rub. After a few minutes, I realized I had discovered something amazing here. Perfectly smokey and a bit sweet, it elevates bacon to much more than a side note to a meal.
I was wondering how to season my own bacon when I make it this week. By that I actually mean: "how to further season my bacon, in addition to maple", which is an obvious no-brainer. Bella's Backwoods BBQ rub is a perfect partner. I designed this rub for pork, and bacon is tops when you're talking pork. Wish me luck, I'll keep all you bacon hipsters posted!!



No comments:

Post a Comment